- It is usually formal and impersonal.
- Don’t use shortened forms of verbs like won’t, doesn’t or it’s.
- It is not advisable to use a linking word at the beginning of a sentence.
- I, me, you, your is avoided.
- The passive form of verbs can be used.
Good academic writers aim to be as clear, precise and simple as possible, even though the language may be more complex. The ability to write in an academic style is something you develop as part of your university study. Unless you teach people specific language, specific expressions, and give them lots of examples of where a writer has done that successfully, it’s hard for students to pick that up.
What are four characteristics of academic English?
- There is complexity. Written language is more difficult than spoken language.
- It is formal. Academic writing is not very formal.
- It is precise. Facts and figures are given in academic writing
- It is objectivity.
- It was accurate.
- It’s responsibility.
What are the three characteristics of English academic writing?
Academic writing is structured and supported by evidence. The purpose is to help the reader understand. It is not complex and does not require long sentences or complicated vocabulary.
What is the characteristic of academic language?
Academic language should be explicit, formal and factual as well as objective and analytical in nature. Students think that academic language is hard to understand and sound complex, but that’s not the case. There is a new year in 2021.