- Research the company and job opening.
- Use a professional format.
- State the position you’re applying for.
- Explain why you’re the best fit for the job.
- Summarize your qualifications.
- Mention why you want the job.
- Include a professional closing.
A long gap in employment can be explained in your application letter. The application letter can be used to increase your chances of moving forward in the hiring process. Thank the reader for taking the time to read your letter, reference your resume, and offer to provide more information as needed. The more concise format of your resume did not include details that you were unable to provide. Mention the additional documents included with your cover letter and express your excitement about moving forward in the hiring process.